Thursday, June 4, 2020

Viral Trends in Malaysia During Lockdown

Here in Malaysia, we are finishing phase 4 of the lockdown (MCO). Many companies has start to work from office again. My company is maintaining social distancing and operate on 50% capacity from the office. the other 50% are working from home.

Throughout the lockdown, we came across many viral trends. Since most people are bored and spent a lot of time on social media, these viral trends really take off.

1. Dalgona Coffee

This was amongst the earliest trend the sweep through Malaysia and apparently the entire world. Since its coffee related and we can drink coffee all day and night during lockdown (coz who need sleep right?), it makes perfect sense why this one was such a big hit. It is really really easy to make too. You can click here if you still have yet to jump on the bandwagon - How to Make Dalgona Coffee



2. Homemade Donut

Eating donut and sipping coffee at the comfort of your own house is just so blissful right? So yeah. This is another viral thing. People now has the time to try something slightly complicated like donuts. I did too after my husband bought me a stand mixer. Who knew, stand mixers and flour could be such a hit during lockdown in Malaysia


3. Other baking/dessert recipes

Owh yeah. Since we spent half of Ramadhan at home, meaning no bazaar Ramadhan, we now have to make our own sweets for berbuka. I tried lots of recipes. Some of which I shared in my previous post.

4. Gardening

I think this one could be rather new and on a down low coz not many people has a plot of land to work on or a huge space to store all their plants and trees and whatnot. But yeah, I think this trend is gaining momentum in recent days. There are those who shared sellers that actually ship life plants all over Malaysia. Somehow, I am on that bandwagon since last week. Been trying to grow my own onion plants but I dont have soil yet. I'm buying a few stuff and hopefully I can built my own garden soon.

5. Uploading tones of food pics

Since everyone had to cook their own food or order from food delivery, everyone's cooking skills improved tremendously. People are counting days by sharing their homecook meals and recipes. Some become and overnight sensation since they posted videos of their cooking on Youtube. I only post food pics during Ramadhan coz only then I am hype enough to try new recipes and cook nice things.

Hopefully, all these new found hobby and interest last even after this lockdown is over.


No comments: