Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Intrinsic Value

Today I came across a video by Xandra Ooi. I know her from tv shows I watched when I'm growing up. I do not watch much TVs nowadays.

Anyway, it seems that Xandra Ooi is a motivational speaker now. I'm just getting familiarize with her videos today. So the topic of her video which I watched today revolves around the value of things we choose in life. How much something worth in our life and what is our consideration we take into account when choosing them.

She said that we have the power to choose things that we want in life. For example, the food that we want to eat, clothes we buy, our partner and friends as well as our work. Most of the time, we tend to choose all these things based on their value. Whether they are the most expensive one you could afford. Whether they are from a known brand etc etc. Whether that other half has a stable income or whether he shares your value.

Xandra said that most of the time we tend to ignore what we really want. Which one makes us so happy inside. When we focus on the quality of the things that make us happy, then we are actually looking at the intrinsic value of the things.We spend so much energy focusing on the face value that we forgot to satisfy our inner need by choosing what truly make us happy.

I tend to agree with Xandra. Basically she is teaching people to be happy. To be happy you need to do and focus on the things that make you happy. You have to choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice we need to make everyday. If your job sucks but you are paid a lot of money to do it, will you continue doing it? I won't.

I am the type of person who only do things that would make me truly happy despite the fact that it might not be acceptable by everyone else. Most of my choices are unconventional. Don't get me wrong tho. I have nothing against mainstream just as long as they make me happy, I'm down!

The thought of starting work in a new place and a new boss can be pretty daunting. But learning new things, being at a new place, making new friends are such an adventure for me. Since I got back from Europe, I feel like I am addicted to adventure. I think the best experience comes from activities that make you feel scared, nervous and uncomfortable at the first place and then relief, grateful and so happy  in  the end.

Carpe diam!


No comments: